Emergency and Emergency Respite Child Care
This service supports the ability of Canadian Forces members to be available for duty if their child care plan fails. It attempts to address unexpected circumstances that would prevent a parent/caregiver from providing care. If a family's Family Care Plan fails, MFRCs are authorized to fund up to 72 continuous hours of emergency child care under the following circumstances:
- The CF member is away on duty and the spouse/caregiver is unavailable due to illness
- The CF member is away on duty and the spouse/caregiver is unavailable due to a family emergency
- The CF member is required to report for duty on short notice and the spouse/caregiver is unavailable
- A single parent or both parents are CF members and CF duty requirements are such that the regular child care provider is unavailable
- A child is ill and the parent is unable to access their usual child care arrangement at a time when the CF member's presence at work is critical to military operation
- A period of respite is absolutely essential for the family's continued health and well-being (i.e. critical mental health of the child or caregiver)
The MFRC maintains a list of adult and youth caregivers. All youth babysitters are required to have completed a Babysitters' Training Course. The MFRC has not screened, monitored or interviewed any of the individuals listed. Parents must assume complete responsibility for any decisions made as a result of access to this list. This list can be acquired in person, by email, or by fax.
The MFRC offers additional programming during the summer months to address parents' need for supervised and stimulating summer experiences for their children, at a reasonable cost, so that they may meet employment, personal and/or other obligations. The Summer Splash program for children 5-11 years is open from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday throughout July and August.
Child Development Centre (Daycare)
At the Wainwright MFRC Child Development Centre your child can play and learn in a safe and caring atmosphere. We provide nutritious meals, meaningful play experiences, field trips, family oriented activities, and much more. We are open Monday-Friday from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm and we are closed for all statutory holidays. The program has 20 childcare spaces for children 19 months to 6 years of age. We accept full-time and part-time attendance.
Casual Child Care
This program runs every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30-11:30 am at a cost of $12.00 per session per family. Three free sessions per month are offered to families of deployed members. Pre-registration in person is recommended. Payment must be made at time of registration. This service is available to all military families on a first-come first-served basis.
Before School Drop-In
The Centre is open on school day mornings from 7:00 – 8:30 am for children of military members or DND employees:
a) so that children who are waiting for the school bus have a refuge in case of inclement weather, or
b) so that on non-school days children registered in the OSCC and whose parents work before the OSCC opens will have a place to wait.
There is no charge for this drop-in, but children must be registered. For a list of guidelines and a registration form, click here.
Out of School Care Centre
This program offers 30 spaces for children in Kindergarten to Grade 6, Monday to Friday from 3:30 - 5:00 pm and on Early Dismissals and PD Days. Registration is required. Read Parent Handbook for all the details.