My Settings
Database Search

Bookmark and Share

Employment Procedure for Canadian Military Spouses  

CF family members are entitled to work while living in the US. In order to apply for jobs they must apply for and receive an Employment Authorization Card. CF family members must have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) in order to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  They should receive their EAD within 4-6 weeks, the card will be sent to their home. Once they have the card they can apply for a SSN.

Employment Authorization Card - Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)
An Employment Authorization Card (EAC) entitles CF family members to work in the US during the CF member's military tour only. CF family members are not eligible for employment in the US without the EAC. The paperwork for the EAC is currently processed through the Chief Clerk Canadian Detachment. The following documentation is required to apply for the EAC:

Passport with Visa and I-94, and
CF military member's passport with Visa and I-94.
The paperwork currently takes approximately four weeks to process and your EAC will be valid for the length of your spouse's tour once you receive it. Should the length of your spouse's tour be more than three years, you will be required to renew your EAC. There is no fee for an EAC.

The United States requires anyone seeking employment to provide proper documentation. EAD (Employment Authorization Document) is available to the dependents of sponsors. This can be obtained by contacting your CANDET clerk at 360-257-0193.
After you receive your EAD you can then begin the process to obtain a Social Security Number. The nearest Social Security Office is located at:

710 East College Way
Suite A
Mount Vernon, WA

For other locations or information please call 1.800.772.1213.


employ image 
Image Source: JupiterImages
MFS Coordinator